Thursday, May 14, 2009

soundride on the long island railroad.


A conductor says while I board the 7:22pm Long Beach Train on a wet Tuesday night,"This is the peak train to Long Beach. This train will stop at Woodside, Jamaica, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Cold Spring Harbor, and Long Beach. Change at Jamaica for all other destinations. And please be mindful of the gap." I get in. Its relativly quiet for a peak train. I hear the clicks and clacks of the business people and their blackberries. I notice some of them playing brick bracker, or whatever that Blackberry game is called and smiled to myself. I am not an owner of a blackberry, but I've heard my friends talking about the addiction they have for that game. Some seemingly long lost friends catch up awkardly. Discussing old friends that they used to know. Another random coincidence in Manhattan Transit. 
    I hear the squeeky train tracks that continue until we hit my stop: Lynbrook. The doors open and emit a indescribable sound. Sounds something like air and "zvrooooom".  Walking home is usually a quiet experience. Not much happens on the streets of New York's: Long Island. Just the sound of the wind, and sometimes the smell of dinner. On this evening there was a bit of rain trickling down onto the street. I walk with anticipation to get to my house and finally get to my room and relax from a bustling  day in the city. 


No comments:

Post a Comment